Social Studies Foundations ePLC
Leaders, instructional coaches, & grades 4-EOC teachers
What does content literacy mean and what does it look like in the classroom?
Content literacy is a blending of Social Studies content standards and process standards. STAAR 2.0 is going to require a new level of content literacy, and we need to start preparing students for that level of thinking now. Since the process standards are tightly vertically aligned from 4th grade-EOC, it is important this foundation is solid.
The Social Studies Foundations ePLC addresses the fundamentals of social studies content literacy. The webinars are a great way for leaders and instructional coaches to gain valuable insight into the intricacies of the Social Studies classroom and its unique blend of content and process. For classroom teachers, the webinars provide tangible, easy-to-implement strategies and ideas for enriching the classroom environment and process-based instruction.
The Social Studies Foundations ePLC provides a virtual learning and a support system throughout the year with:
- 8 pre-recorded webinars
- 3 live Q & A sessions for participants to collaborate with other ePLC members, grow in their understanding of concepts introduced, and have an opportunity for clarification!
- August 3, 2021 3:30 – 4:30pm
- October 26, 2021 3:30 – 4:30pm
- February 22, 2022- 3:30 – 4:30pm
8th Grade Social Studies ePLC
Leaders, instructional coaches, and 8th grade teachers
Teachers often struggle to translate the volume of TEKS standards and Social Studies content into manageable chunks of instruction. Front-loading teacher planning time with the 8th Grade Social Studies ePLC allows them to spend constructive time within their PLC designing engaging experiences and planning targeted lessons that promote content retention, comprehension, and historical thinking skills. Each cluster contains 2 to 4 short sub-cluster learning videos and an intervention learning video.
The 8th Grade Social Studies ePLC helps teachers build their understanding of big-picture concepts and content nuances through 40+ webinars and other resources that address the major topics.
The 8th Grade Social Studies ePLC:
- Aligns with the streamlined TEKS and trends from STAAR
- Embeds process-based instructional best practices and strategies from the Social Studies Playlist
- Subdivides major topics into units of study to allow more flexibility during PLC meetings
- Is organized by lead4ward clusters/subclusters
- Includes a 10-15 minute learning video for EACH subcluster and a cluster-specific intervention learning video
- Addresses the “how” and “when” for intervention (with strategies) – How and when should we intervene to ensure students are successful? And what methods could we use for students at different thresholds? Topics also include a webinar that discusses what intervention could look like for students who are struggling to access the stimuli and/or need support with inferential thinking.
- NEW Includes ready-made think along plans to introduce lead4ward’s spiral review throughout the year